Top 5 Reasons to Visit Charleston (and Folly Beach) During Spoleto Festival
Every May and June since 1977, Charleston has opened its doors to welcome one of the leading arts performance festivals in the World. And this year is no exception. From May 24-June 9, the Holy City will host Spoleto 2019.
During these 17 magical days and nights, Charleston’s historic theaters, churches, and outdoor spaces will be the backdrop for creative and one of a kind performances by renowned and emerging artists in theater, dance, opera, and music.
Why should you go?
1. Spoleto is internationally recognized as America’s premier performance arts festival. So, for two weeks, you have access to a rich and diverse lineup of premiers and artists. Past performers and premiers include Yo Yo Ma and Joshua Bell to plays by Tennessee Williams and Authur Miller.
2. Intimate, historical, and beautiful venues. From the 210-year-old Dock Street Theater to the new Gaillard Center, the setting of Charleston provides charming performance locations in a walkable, stunning city.
3. Arts of the highest caliber. Spoleto’s focus has always been to present unusual and innovative performance opportunities for established and budding artists. This year you’ll find jazz performances from the Carla Bley Trio to a big opera production called “Salome” by Richard Strauss to “One Thousand and One Nights” by Caracalla Dance Theater. Click to see the video highlight.
Spoleto offers hundreds of performances, so there is something for everyone. Be sure to plan and get tickets early: Spoleto 2019 Schedule
4. The city itself… There’s a reason why Charleston continues to be ranked the No. 1 city in the US by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine. Its vibrant culture, rich history, balmy coastal location, gorgeously restored architecture, and friendly locals make it one of America’s best travel destinations. Add in the fabulous restaurants, and you can’t go wrong.
5. The beach is so close… So, you have an international arts festival, the incredible backdrop of Charleston, its history and food - what more could you want? Well, you may choose to add some relaxation to your trip, so consider staying on Folly Beach, just 10 miles south of Charleston. This funky town boasts plenty of beachy bars and restaurants and six miles of sandy beach. Our town home at Water’s Edge provides stunning views of the Folly River and is within walking distance of everything.
Right now our town home has open weeks for Spoleto Festival. Contact us to book direct for our best rates!