The abbey church in Lessay, Normandy
The church on the left hand side of the photograph is part of the Benedictine abbey founded in 1056. It was almost entirely destroyed twice – once in 1356 and again in 1944. Although the bombings that Normandy endured in 1944 caused some of the damage, explosives planted by German troops caused the majority of the destruction. The damage did reveal the very heart of the abbey church and the original ribbed vaults which did not become popular until later. To the right of the church were the monastery buildings. Both the church and the adjacent buildings were rebuilt. The church was re-opened in 1958 having being rebuilt in an identical style. The rebuilt monastery buildings became a private dwelling but the church remains at the centre of the town's heritage. Tours of the abbey church are available and permission can be sought to view the cloister and private gardens.
Post and photo by Chris from Normandy Gite Holidays