Haircuts & Beaches: What is Open in New Smyrna Beach Florida?
What is open in New Smyrna Beach Florida? Planning your summer vacation at the beach you love is a little trickier under Covid 19 reopening regulations. The good news is that Florida seems to be reopening successfully and safely. The bad news for planning a vacation is - the reopening is phased in and subject to rescindment.
Cancellations and Refunds
Vacationers need reassurance they will receive refunds if they have to cancel at the last moment due to Covid 19 concerns. Owners of vacation rental homes such as myself, are offering full refunds for cancellations due to Covid 19.
What is Open in New Smyrna Beach?
Phase One of reopening Florida - "Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step" - began on May 4. So far, it seems to be going well. Here are the latest updates on non-essential places that are open in New Smyrna Beach.
Beach is Open!
As of May 11 - normal beach activities are allowed with restrictions
- Groups limited to maximum of 6 people and groups required to distance themselves by at least 10 feet from other groups
- Driving and parking on the beach is permitted in certain zones at designated posts at least 25 feet apart, and subject to limits to maintain physical distancing
- Restrooms, playgrounds, splash pads, and showers remain closed
- All persons are encouraged to use masks and face coverings
- Indoor seating up to
- Outdoor seating with tables at least 6 feet apart and in groups of no greater than 10
- Quite a few restaurants offer take-out and delivery. Uber Eats, Door Dash and PostMates delivers food in the area
- Good idea to call ahead or look them up online to determine their current status
- List of restaurant in NSB
- List of restaurants in NSB offering Take-out and delivery.
Malls & Retail Stores, Museums, Libraries
- Open at
- Physical distancing
State Parks Open
- Public restrooms still closed
Barbershops, Hair and Nail Salons
- Opened May 11
- By appointment only, no groups
- Spaced out appointments to allow for cleaning
- Personnel must wear masks
Bars , nightclubs, movie theaters, gyms
- Not open yet
- Gyms at 50%
Lodging still limited
- Hotels, motels, lodges opened May 4
- Vacation home rentals less than 30 days are not yet permitted throughout Florida. Governor DeSantis has been very careful trying to limit folks from Covid 19 "hot spots" across the country from fleeing to Florida
- Why motel/hotels are open and not vacation home rentals? Good question.
- May 15 - Counties may seek approval to reopen by submitting a request and county vacation rental safety plan to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Professional Sports & Amusement Parks
- Professional sports may resume as of May 18
- Amusement parks may submit reopening plans to the state
- Press conference April 30 announcing May 4 opening plan